Apr 8, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
The good news is that Kevin Alston’s prognosis seems quite positive following this morning’s stunning announcement from the New England Revolution, which says the young defender has been diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), “a rare but treatable form of leukemia.”
Alston, 24, a 2010 MLS All-Star, has been a New England starter since his rookie year in 2009. He started all four Revs’ matches this year.
More information on the condition is here. Twitter alerts and support can be found with the hashtag #GetWellKA.
But the Revolution says Alston will take an indefinite leave of absence from the team to undergo treatment. From Revolution GM Mike Burns:
The Revolution fully supports Kevin as he begins treatment. Right now, the most important thing for Kevin, and his family, is to concentrate on returning to full health. Kevin’s had a tremendous attitude since the diagnosis and his positivity is an inspiration for all of us.”
Check back for updates on this one.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad