Apr 8, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
The good news is that Kevin Alston’s prognosis seems quite positive following this morning’s stunning announcement from the New England Revolution, which says the young defender has been diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), “a rare but treatable form of leukemia.”
Alston, 24, a 2010 MLS All-Star, has been a New England starter since his rookie year in 2009. He started all four Revs’ matches this year.
More information on the condition is here. Twitter alerts and support can be found with the hashtag #GetWellKA.
But the Revolution says Alston will take an indefinite leave of absence from the team to undergo treatment. From Revolution GM Mike Burns:
The Revolution fully supports Kevin as he begins treatment. Right now, the most important thing for Kevin, and his family, is to concentrate on returning to full health. Kevin’s had a tremendous attitude since the diagnosis and his positivity is an inspiration for all of us.”
Check back for updates on this one.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear