Apr 8, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
ProSoccerTalk’s Best XI from Week 6 in Major League Soccer includes the man who sprang huge goal for Chivas USA.
- Vancouver Whitecaps’ Joe Cannon
Why we like him: We told you yesterday how a couple of the late “saves” in mad scramble to hold a point against San Jose may not have actually been his saves. It was so hard to tell. Either way, the Whitecaps’ veteran in goal did enough to earn the honor, making five saves while beaten only once (and that by Chris Wondolowski’s unstoppable screamer.)
- Portland Timbers’ Mikael Silvestre
- Philadelphia Union’s Amobi Okugo (pictured)
- Sporting Kansas City’s Matt Besler
Why we like them: While we keep looking at Sporting Kansas City’s midfield and studying the proper mix between guys like Graham Zusi, Benny Feilhaber, Claudio Bieler and others, the defense just keeps steadily throwing up those shutouts. No one is more responsible that Besler, who had another excellent night in a 1-0 shutout over visiting D.C. United. That four clean sheets in a row for SKC.
Lots of good performances all around for Portland (read on, further down along this list), including a couple of men along the Timbers back line. Silvestre was sure-footed on the slick Jeld-Wen turf, helping to prevent Houston Dynamo danger despite an early change with his central partner due to David Horst’s first-half injury.
- Colorado Rapids’ Hendry Thomas
- FC Dallas’ Andrew Jacobson
- Portland Timber’s Diego Chara
- Chicago Fire’s Daniel Paladini
Why we like them: The lesser known central and holding mids dominate this week’s list. Hendry was a ball-winning, midfield disrupting machine in Colorado’s huge win over rival Real Salt Lake. (And all those young RSL midfielders cannot be easy to keep up with!)
Jacobson continues to be an underrated element in FC Dallas’ fast start (including the Texans’ 2-2 draw in Toronto). Chara was just this side of flawless on both sides of the ball in his team’s commanding 2-0 win over Houston. And Paladini played a big role as Chicago unleashed itself from the ranks of the winless with a late (but oh-so-important) win over New York.
- Chicago Fire’s Maicon Santos
- Portland Timbers’ Ryan Johnson
- Sporting Kansas City’s Claudio Bieler
Why we like them: Two Santos in Chicago’s win, and off the bench no less! If he can find just a little more consistency, the starting striker job is certainly up for grabs around Toyota Park. Johnson hit two in the Rose City to help clear the runway for a big win landing at Jeld-Wen. And Bieler nailed the late game-winner as SKC took all the points in a Friday night win over D.C. United.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 0
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers