Apr 9, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
It’s a bit rich to suggestion Real Madrid wouldn’t have advanced past Galatasaray without Cristiano Ronaldo, but with three goals over two legs, the Portuguese marksman was certainly the main reason why Los Blancos qualified for their third successive Champions League semifinal. Up to 11 in this year’s competition, Ronaldo is three clear of second place on the tournament’s scoring charts.
On Tuesday, his two goals ended up being the difference between an early end and playing extra time. Though his goals wouldn’t lead a highlight real, they exhibited Ronaldo’s predatory instincts, running Emmanuel Eboué into the ground on the first while executing a classic pull away from the defense on the second.
The day’s real highlights belonged to two of José Mourinho’s former leading men. Wesley Sneijder scored the second of Gala’s goals (causing the Real Madrid defense some embarrassment in the process) while Didier Drogba’s back heel gave the home side a few moments of real hope.
Here are the highlights of Tuesday’s match in Istanbul, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 1
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3