Apr 9, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
It’s a bit rich to suggestion Real Madrid wouldn’t have advanced past Galatasaray without Cristiano Ronaldo, but with three goals over two legs, the Portuguese marksman was certainly the main reason why Los Blancos qualified for their third successive Champions League semifinal. Up to 11 in this year’s competition, Ronaldo is three clear of second place on the tournament’s scoring charts.
On Tuesday, his two goals ended up being the difference between an early end and playing extra time. Though his goals wouldn’t lead a highlight real, they exhibited Ronaldo’s predatory instincts, running Emmanuel Eboué into the ground on the first while executing a classic pull away from the defense on the second.
The day’s real highlights belonged to two of José Mourinho’s former leading men. Wesley Sneijder scored the second of Gala’s goals (causing the Real Madrid defense some embarrassment in the process) while Didier Drogba’s back heel gave the home side a few moments of real hope.
Here are the highlights of Tuesday’s match in Istanbul, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- Kind draws could give Messi, Ronaldo head start on World Cup 2014′s Golden Boot 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)