Apr 9, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
As Manchester United edge towards a 13th Premier League triumph this season, here are the 5 key moments behind Sir Alex Ferguson’s side winning the title:-
1. VAN PERSIE SCORES AGAINST CITY
United cruised into a 2-0 lead at The Etihad stadium in the top-of-the-table clash, but a late comeback from City looked to have tied the game 2-2. In the last minute of play, however, Van Persie’s deflected free-kick curled past Joe Hart into the corner of the net. It was a massive three points.
2. TORRES SENT OFF, HERNANDEZ WINS IT
United travelled to Chelsea in average form and four points adrift of their opponents. A physical face-off hit its key moment when Fernando Torres was unfairly shown a red card with the score at 2-2, sending Chelsea down to nine men after Branislav Ivanovic was also dismissed. Javier Hernandez ended up breaking Chelsea hearts, scoring the winner in a crucial 3-2 victory.
3. VAN PERSIE TO THE RESCUE AGAIN
With United stunned to be 2-0 down to newly-promoted Southampton, that man Van Persie again showed why Fergie paid so much money for him. Having already scored once, his awesome finishing saw him net two more late in the game to send the United fans crazy.
4. TWO GOALS DOWN, BUT SAME OLD STROY AGAIN
Before 2013 rolled around, United kept conceding the first goal, only to end up winning the game, and their clash away to Aston Villa was no different. A two-goal deficit was yet again overturned, thanks mainly to a double from Hernandez. Psychologically it dealt City a big blow.
5. ROONEY STRIKES CRUCIAL GOAL
This was the game that pretty much clinched the title for United, even though it was still only February. Ferguson knew that a win would send his team 10 points clear ahead of City at the top, and Wayne Rooney’s classy goal in the second half was enough to overcome a tough Fulham side.
- Tim Howard taking a break of U.S. international duty 0
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3