Apr 9, 2013, 6:24 AM EST
Manchester City coach Roberto Mancini knows the title race is over this year, but believes his side will boss the Premier League next season.
City’s 2-1 win against rivals Manchester United on Monday won’t stop Fergie’s side winning another title, but Mancini knows his team will be very different threat next campaign.
“We know we can win the title next season but this year we made some mistakes,” the Italian told reporters in England.
“It is unfortunate, we can do nothing. This season the title is gone.”
“United have won a lot of games and they lost their last game against Norwich in November, a long time ago.”
City dominated their great rivals for a lot of the game, and Sergio Aguero’s moment of greatness won the blue side of Manchester all three points.
The goal was like his title-winning strike against QPR on the last day of last season, and he was very happy to score the winner.
He left a message to his fans on his twitter page (@aguerosergiokun):
“Thrilled about the victory. I’d like to especially dedicate this goal to my son Ben. C’mon @MCFC!! Fight til the end!!”
City’s win still gives United a formidable 12 point lead at the top of the standings, and they need just 10 more points from their remaining games to record the 20th league title in their history.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season