Apr 9, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
With Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon and Jermain Defoe- perhaps Tottenham’s three most talented offensive players- all out injured for the next few weeks, Andre Villas-Boas’ side need somebody to step up to the plate in their quest to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Maybe Clint Dempsey is that man.
The USA international has not enjoyed a stellar first season at White Hart Lane, after moving there from Fulham last summer. Apart from strikes against Manchester United home and away, he has not produced enough moments of excellence. The 30-year-old is one of America’s most talented soccer players, but Tottenham fans are yet to see the best of the Team USA forward.
He has managed just eight goals this season, compared to 23 last time out, and his side need him to start producing the goods sooner rather than later. While rivals Arsenal are in amazing form, Tottenham are struggling to hit top gear, and Dempsey is one of a number of players being criticised for a lack of quality in the absence of their all-star players.
With six games remaining in the Premier League season, is Clint Dempsey the man to turn Tottenham’s fortunes around? These games could define whether he remains at the club beyond the summer or not.
He has the chance to make himself a hero and inspire his side towards Champions League qualification.
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 0
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1