Apr 9, 2013, 8:05 PM EST
Good MLS fans remember the name Omar Salgado. He, of course, is the big striker chosen first overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Vancouver.
Fair to say that Darlington Nagbe and Perry Kitchen, picked second and third that draft day in Baltimore, have done more so far in MLS to this point. A lot more in Kitchen’s case for D.C. United. But Salgado, still only 19, was always a “project pick.” We always knew he needed to grow into his professional shoes.
Still, 19-year-olds can and have made hey in MLS. Even younger men, too.
So as Salgado’s moves into the meat of his third season as a professional, it would be nice to see the young man make more of a contribution at BC Place. Injuries have played a role in his lesser imprint to this point. But one goal in 21 appearances is scant return on a No. 1 draft pick, and the figure looks more worrisome with each passing week.
Salgado wouldn’t even be mentioned today but for a training ground incident. All of this is to say, when we hear from Salgado next, it needs to be a big goal for Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps, not for this bit of needlessness (courtesy of a report in today’s Vancouver Sun):
Winger Omar Salgado, whose lingering foot problems have kept him from getting any first-team minutes this season, was tossed out of practice Monday after he objected to a hard tackle from Koffie by shoving the midfielder.”
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 0
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)