Apr 9, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
At Christmas, the superstar of the Premier League season was undoubtedly Manchester United’s main man Robin Van Persie.
He was scoring for fun: long-range and close-range goals; volleys; headers; important goals. You name it, he’d scored it. He was the key difference between United and their rivals Manchester City, and his last-minute free-kick against them in December was a big moment in the title battle.
However, in the last 10 games the Dutchman has failed find the back of the net, looking fatigued and slow in the last few weeks. His finishing was so good at one stage in the season you just knew he would score when the ball came his way, but now he looks lacking in confidence when key chance fall his way.
There is no doubt that Van Persie’s decline in form has affected United’s performances too. They are suddenly lacking an attacking threat without the 29-year-old in the awesome form he showed before 2013 rolled around. He has missed amazing chances in massive matches against Real Madrid and Chelsea of late, which has helped influence his side getting knocked out of both the Champions League and FA Cup.
With the Premier League title safely in United’s hands this campaign, Van Persie has an individual award to play for: the Premier League top scorer, or Golden Boot as it’s known. He currently stands three goals behind Liverpool’s Luis Suarez in the rankings, and if he is to stand a chance of beating the Uruguayan he needs to find his ‘A game’ sooner rather than later.
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 0
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 2
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint