Apr 10, 2013, 9:52 AM EST
Yes, his legs move a little slower than they used to – but David Beckham’s mouth is in perfect working order.
When Paris Saint-Germain brought in David Beckham, they weren’t only signing a set-piece expert. Turns out, the French club also got a master storyteller ahead of their daunting Champions League quarter-final, second leg tie against Barcelona today.
Midfielder Javier Pastore said that the 37-year-old former Manchester United, Real Madrid, A.C. Milan and Los Angeles Galaxy star has been inspiring his team-mates with tales of the good old days.
“David tells the stories to create belief in the team and it works,” Pastore told The Sun. “It is so funny when he tells his stories in the dressing room. I look around and all the players are silent just listening to everything he has to say – it is like a teacher reading to his kids in class.”
Last week’s first leg in Paris ended 2-2, leaving Barcelona firm favorites to go through at the Nou Camp (kick-off, 2.45pm ET). Beckham’s message, though, is that PSG can do it – and when a player of his experience talks, it’s not surprising others want to listen. Pastore added:
“David has been telling us that we have everything it takes to progress – and that we just need to believe that anything is possible. He has achieved everything and played in every big game there is to play in. He has been telling us a similar situation when Manchester United drew at home with a great Juventus team many years ago  and needed to go and win in Italy.
“It was a special Juventus team with Zinedine Zidane, Edgar Davids, Pippo Inzaghi, Didier Deschamps and many more. David said that Manchester went 2-0 down early – but they had the belief and went on to win the game and then the Champions League.”
Check out Richard Farley’s match preview here.
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0
- Manchester United’s two-goal hero Wayne Rooney hails “deserved win.” Should he stay up front? 1
- Manchester United 2-0 Sunderland: Rooney nets double to seal easy win 0
- Newcastle United 1-0 Aston Villa: Cisse’s goal keeps Sherwood’s Villans in the drop zone 0
- West Ham United 1-3 Crystal Palace: Eagles win fiery London derby 1
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream) 0