Apr 10, 2013, 7:44 PM EST
If I’m a Barcelona player, I’m taking particular pride in this one. PSG head coach Carlo Ancelotti seemed to press all the right buttons, leaving his team having advantages at the onset of each leg. They were patient, let Barcelona keep the ball, but with each turnover seemed to put Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi within one dribble of defining the match.
And then there was the injury to Lionel Messi, an ailment that kept the world’s best player on the sidelines for 107 of the tie’s 180 minutes. During the time he was out, Barcelona didn’t score from open play, Xavi Hernández’s late penalty conversion in Paris one of the few shots Barça put on goal without their focal point on the field.
Carles Puyol was out. Javier Mascherano went down. And Barça were facing a team that, as it turned out, was perfectly setup to push them. Yet in the end, Barcelona crafted the goal they needed to reach a record sixth straight Champions League semifinal.
Not every round features these kinds of obstacles. The ones that do usually knock you out, leaving only regrets about the nature of cup competitions. But Barcelona was able to overcome their hurdles, and while a team with their accomplishments shouldn’t get too caught up in the little things, this little thing is worth a moment’s pause. PSG was far more than a formality.
Here are the highlights of today’s match, courtesy of FOX Soccer.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season