Apr 11, 2013, 7:18 AM EDT
Radamel Falcao, possibly the most in-demand striker in world soccer, is rumoured to be the subject of a $72m/£47m bid from Manchester United this summer.
The 27-year-old Colombian has been sensational for Atletico Madrid this season, scoring 28 goals in 33 appearances for the Spanish side, and he is fully expected to leave the club and join one of Europe’s elite at the end of the current campaign.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s interest in the player has been fairly relaxed until now, and rivals Manchester City and Chelsea are thought to be particularly interested in acquiring his signature. Will the lure of playing under Ferguson sway Falcao’s opinion just like it did with Robin Van Persie last summer?
It is understood United are keen to offer Javier Hernandez to Atletico as part of the deal, after the Mexican ‘super sub’ has struggled for appearances in recent times.
Falcao’s current coach Diego Simeone says it is no surprise that his player is being talked about so much in the transfer market right now.
‘Falcao is a great player and it’s logical that the best teams in the world are interested in him. It doesn’t surprise me.’
Prior to his great career in Madrid, Falcao was equally awesome for Porto in Portugal between 2009 and 2011, scoring an incredible 72 goals in just 87 matches. It will be fascinating to see where he ends up once the new season begins in August.
Whoever does sign him will have purchased a very special player.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s