Apr 11, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Aston Villa coach Paul Lambert believes his star-striker Christian Benteke is worth a similar amount of money to some of the most highly rated forwards in the world.
The 22-year-old Belgium international was signed by Lambert for £7m at the start of this season, and has been sensational, scoring 15 goals in 29 appearances as Villa try desperately to stay in the Premier League.
In an interview with BBC Sport, Lambert says that, despite interest in Benteke from a number of top clubs, he has absolutely no plans to sell such a key player.
“He is hot property. If you wanted to prise Christian away from here you would want a sizeable cheque, that is for sure,” said the 43-year-old Scotsman.
“He has the potential to be fantastic. If you look at modern day figures then £25m is probably a good start. We can’t stop people looking at him but he is under contract here. He is enjoying his football at the moment and doing fantastically well.”
Benteke is part of an exciting generation of young or in their prime Belgian stars, including the following:
Thibaut Courtois, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, Maroune Fellaini, Axel Witsel, Eden Hazard, Kevin Mirallas, Moussa Dembele and Kevin de Bruyne.
They are being tipped by some as dark horses to win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil next summer.
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research shows less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park