Apr 11, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT
Manchester City and Arsenal are both believed to be interested in signing Germany and Borussia Dortmund superstar Mario Gotze in the summer.
The 20-year-old is among the most highly rated youngsters in world soccer, and has just helped Dortmund reach the Champions League semi-finals for the first time since 1997. He has often spoken of his interest to play in the Premier League at some point in his career, and perhaps he feels now is the time for change.
City’s director of football, Txiki Begiristain, apparently held talks with Gotze’s agent in March about the potential to sign the German offensive player, after coach Roberto Mancini made it his number one priority to strengthen his squad, following a disappointing defence of their title this season.
Other players linked with a move to City include Real Madrid’s Gonzalo Higuain, Atletico Madrid’s Radamel Falcao and Napoli’s Edinson Cavani; all of whom are among the top 10 strikers in the game.
Arsenal, meanwhile, are also interested in Gotze, but it is likely that they will be outbid by one of Europe’s more wealthy clubs. Arsene Wenger’s reluctance to spend the big bucks in the transfer market will probably mean they won’t get their man. They made a bid for the German back in 2011, when he was just 18, but the offer was rejected and Gotze stayed with Dortmund.
If Arsenal are to realistically challenge for the Premier League title next season there is no doubt they need to improve their squad hugely. If they were to bring in three or four players of somewhere close to Gotze’s ability, Wenger’s side could become a real force at the summit of English soccer again.
- International Champions Cup: Schedule revealed as Chelsea, Manchester United take on MLS sides 3
- After Bournemouth all but seal Premier League place, here’s some other minnows to make the top-flight 1
- Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez calls Real Madrid “best team in the world” 1
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Liverpool 1
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0