Apr 11, 2013, 8:09 PM EST
New York travels south to meet D.C. United in one of Major League Soccer’s marquee matchups of Week 7, and we can mark a starting spot for Thierry Henry under “cautiously optimistic” by the sound of it.
Henry has come off the bench in New York’s last two matches while dealing with an MCL strain. Red Bulls manager Mike Petke hoped for “expanded role” this weekend at RFK Stadium, according to this story in the New York Post.
Today comes news that chances of a Fabian Espindola start don’t sound as good. Henry (pictured), Espindola and Tim Cahill are the Red Bulls top attackers, and Petke’s team definitely needs all hands and feet on deck Saturday. Seventh place in the East, with but one win after six contests is not where such a talented bunch needs to be.
Across the world (well, across this big land, at least) Sounders striker Obafemi Martins has returned from his highly secretive, undisclosed location to get back Seattle’s training field. (Seriously, doesn’t the league’s last winless team have better things to worry about than being all Jason Bourne about where a freakin’ player goes for injury treatment? What, was he spending time with some weird shaman healer or something?)
Martins is back at practice, but the Nigerian striker’s availability for this week’s visit by New England remains in doubt.
A hip injury prevented LA Galaxy striker Mike Magee (a.k.a. Major League Soccer’s leading scorer) from participating in the team’s match Wednesday in Monterrey. But team officials say Magee is likely to be on the field when the two-time defending champions travel north to Dallas for this week’s contest on NBC Sports Network.
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 0
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 0
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2