Apr 12, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
An Arsenal fan has been banned from attending soccer matches for three years for throwing a banana at Gareth Bale during the north London derby.
A judge rebuked Thomas Flint for “disgraceful behavior” for aiming the fruit towards the Tottenham forward as he took a corner, the Associated Press reported.
The supporter also reportedly swore at Tottenham fans during the match at White Hart Lane on March 3, which was won 2-1 by Spurs and featured a goal by Bale ten minutes after the incident.
Flint was fined $385 plus costs at a magistrates’ court today and District Judge Rebecca Crane told the carpenter that he let his passion ”boil over into hostility for a single player and the opposing team… It could have boiled over into violence.”
Bale’s long been subjected to not-so-funny “jokes” from rival fans suggesting that he looks like a monkey, hence the banana.
But that particular fruit has a long and ugly association with racism in English soccer, going back to the 1970s and ’80s, when black players were habitually taunted from the terraces. In one of the most notorious examples, former Liverpool and England winger John Barnes was photographed back-heeling a banana during a game against Everton in the late 1980s.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 2
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"