Apr 14, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
NBC lead soccer voice Arlo White had the big LA Galaxy news last night, relaying a conversation with the MLS Cup champion manager from Friday night.
During their conversations ahead of Saturday’s FC Dallas-Galaxy match in Texas, LA manager Bruce Arena said the Galaxy’s third Designated Player was more or less decided.
This has been a big talker around MLS since David Beckham announced he would not return to MLS this year, finishing his stay in Southern California that began in the middle of the 2007 season.
So … Chelsea’s Frank Lampard? He’s been frequent stop on the Galaxy DP rumor-go-round. So has Real Madrid’s Kaka. Arena isn’t saying just yet … but he does allow that it won’t be long before we all know.
What White said during the second half of last night’s broadcast on NBC Sports Network:
Really interesting talking to Bruce Arena yesterday. Asked him about the possibility and timeframe of a Designated Player … and he said it should be finalized in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps early May.
“We couldn’t get any more information out of him. … He said it’s down to one. And I asked him have both parties agreed and he said, ‘I know one of us has.’ So they’re waiting for the word.”
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers