Apr 14, 2013, 2:34 AM EDT
Another match, and two more penalty kicks, though unlike today’s game in Frisco, one of these actually found the back of the net.
On Saturday night in Carson, Deshorn Brown’s seventh minute conversion gave the visiting Rapids an early lead, but with Chivas USA’s flare of the dramatic, this was setting up like another match El Chelís’s team could steal late.
Little did we know Jose Correa’s own penalty kick later in the half would be the closest Chivas would come to equalizer. When the young Colombia’s try went off the cross-bar and back into play, Clint Irwin was on his way to a second straight shutout, with the Rapids taking a 1-0 win out of Los Angeles.
Losing at home to a still hamstrung Colorado, Chivas USA may see some of those preseason doubts resurface, even if they still sit near the top of the Western Conference. Though they suffered their second loss of the season (their first since opening night), Chivas sit in second place, six back of league-leading Dallas.
Colorado, on the other hand, extended their unbeaten streak to three with another 1-0 victory. They pulled the saem trick last week against Real Salt Lake, though you have to wonder how long Irwin can keep up these heroics.
But may he’ll turn into this year’s Andy Greunebaum – a backup vaulted into the starting XI who goes on to be one of the league’s best goalkeepers. Even if he doesn’t meet those high standards, Irwin looks capable of buying Oscar Pareja time until the rest of his squad returns to health.
For now, Colorado sits fifth in the West, one of five teams that have collected eight points through the league’s first month-and-a-half.
Here are the highlights of their late Saturday match in Carson:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 6
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3