Apr 14, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
Columbus is a tough team to figure out.
On the one hand, a team that can faithfully grind out the points away from home is a team that will probably land in the playoffs, and reasonably well positioned at that. That’s Columbus, which is a highly respectable 2-1-1 away from Crew Stadium this year, dealing quite presentably with a schedule heavy on the road affairs in March and April.
On the other hand, a team that can’t cash in regularly on maximum points at home is a team that might struggle to land in the 10-team MLS post-season. That’s Columbus, which has played twice in Ohio this year and finished with mildly disappointing draws both times. One was against a young Philadelphia bunch, the other against a San Jose version that was still missing quite a few important pieces.
So … yeah. Tough one to analyze.
We can talk today, at least, about the better Crew version. With an unchanged lineup for the third consecutive week, the Crew managed out a 1-1 draw in bitter cold conditions in Montreal. (The match was delayed 24 hours due to snow and dangerously low temperatures in Quebec.)
Montreal’s Marco Di Vaio (pictured from Sunday, on the right) and Columbus’ Dominic Oduro traded swell goals at Stade Saputo. The highlights for this one, including both stinging efforts:
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear