Apr 14, 2013, 4:13 PM EST
Columbus is a tough team to figure out.
On the one hand, a team that can faithfully grind out the points away from home is a team that will probably land in the playoffs, and reasonably well positioned at that. That’s Columbus, which is a highly respectable 2-1-1 away from Crew Stadium this year, dealing quite presentably with a schedule heavy on the road affairs in March and April.
On the other hand, a team that can’t cash in regularly on maximum points at home is a team that might struggle to land in the 10-team MLS post-season. That’s Columbus, which has played twice in Ohio this year and finished with mildly disappointing draws both times. One was against a young Philadelphia bunch, the other against a San Jose version that was still missing quite a few important pieces.
So … yeah. Tough one to analyze.
We can talk today, at least, about the better Crew version. With an unchanged lineup for the third consecutive week, the Crew managed out a 1-1 draw in bitter cold conditions in Montreal. (The match was delayed 24 hours due to snow and dangerously low temperatures in Quebec.)
Montreal’s Marco Di Vaio (pictured from Sunday, on the right) and Columbus’ Dominic Oduro traded swell goals at Stade Saputo. The highlights for this one, including both stinging efforts:
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 0
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014