Apr 14, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
For a man who had just been nailed by a beer can – by one his own fans, no less! – FC Dallas hero George John was in great humor.
In one of the truly bizarre incident seen around MLS this year, FC Dallas center back was left with a bloody gash when hit on the head with an aluminum beer can tossed from the supporters section just behind FC Dallas Stadium’s north goal.
It was just a second or two after John scored the late, game-winning goal in Saturday’s 1-0 win over MLS champion LA Galaxy.
It was a big, dramatic occasion – but John spent the “celebration period” clutching his bleeding head, laying in pain next to the goal post. John said he didn’t know what had happened until he glanced down and saw the can.
“It was But Lite. Lime,” John told me just two local police officers spoke to him for the official report. “And that thing must have been full, because it hurt!”
The perpetrator, presumably not actually aiming at the FCD man, was identified and arrested by Frisco police.
John was joking about how the episode might get him on SportsCenter, and how he could possibly put the whole thing to best social media use. The defender also laughed when reminded that he is tied with three others atop the FCD scoring ledger, each with two goals. “Yeah, one came off my back. The other, I got hit by a beer bottle.”
FC Dallas’ valuable center back (who has been sensational all year for the MLS Western Conference leaders) was in similar brilliant humor when he talked to NBC’s Russ Thaler and Kyle Martino just after Saturday’s final whistle in suburban Dallas.
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1