Apr 16, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
The awful events Monday in Boston necessarily overshadowed what would have been a newsy moment in domestic soccer as Robbie Rogers spoke to CNN’s Anderson Cooper in his first TV interview since the former U.S. soccer player came out and retired in February.
Rogers granted two separate interviews last month, one with the Guardian UK and one with the New York Times’ Sam Borden. But Monday’s interview with Cooper
In one part of the interview (the CNN video clip is here), Rogers tells Cooper why he was reluctant to come out while still active as a professional player.
I felt like I couldn’t play and come out. I thought it would be too emotional for me, it would be a circus. I just thought it would be very difficult … the impact on the team, with the media showing up every day. Just dealing with all that stuff … and then trying to perform in professional sports. It’s taxing. I’m glad it did it this way.”
Meanwhile, former Columbus Crew icon Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Rogers’ teammate for four seasons and the man who led Columbus to the 2008 MLS Cup crown, is encouraging Rogers get back into the professional game.
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 0
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 0
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 4
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 0
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 2
- Report: Marco Reus is out for rest of 2014 with torn ankle ligament 3