Apr 16, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
It’s a little tough to dissect some of the comments from longtime General Manager Dave Kasper, who indicates in one part of his quick Washington Post interview that roster help is on the way.
Considering United’s surprising low place in the league – 18th among 19-teams in ProSoccerTalk’s latest weekly rankings – the bunch from RFK Stadium certainly needs an upgrade. Or something.
Especially in the striker position, where Lionard Pajoy and Carlos Ruiz are the first pair on the depth chart. Pajoy has nine goals in 38 MLS appearances. That’s hardly the return needed for a club hoping to find itself among MLS elite clubs.
And about Ruiz? He’s 33 … and that is a hard 33. Ruiz (pictured) was a pure goal-scorer, blessed with instincts, a hardy willingness near goal and a skillful finisher’s touch – but was never known as the type to push for extra conditioning sessions or one of those Dwayne De Rosario-type who carefully monitors diet and such.
So, is someone else on the way as United manager Ben Olsen suggested he would push for? Hard to say; this might be cat-and-mouse stuff, but here’s what Kasper said:
We’re not scoring goals, but we know there are players on this team that have scored goals in this league — and a lot of them. They will score goals in due time. It’s a matter of finding the right combination on the field and continuing to work. It’s going to come.”
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season