Apr 16, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Suspicions have been rampant for years regarding the use of over-aged players in younger FIFA tournaments.
Fueling the concerns have been African teams’ success in under-17 and under-20 tournaments – success that the continent’s team have been unable to duplicate in full-aged FIFA competitions.
Now we know, as suspicions have been confirmed, at least in this case.
Three players each from Congo-Brazzaville, Ivory Coast and Nigeria have been banned from playing any further part in the competition.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) tests that scan the players’ wrist plates revealed the illegal participants, who were all using fake birth certificates.
This could have huge consequences in larger matters; teams have been banned from World Cups before for using over-aged players in youth tournament. The United States, for instance, was greatly assisted in 1990 when Mexico was banned from World Cup that summer in Italy.
Mexico was banned from all international soccer for two years, including the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea and World Cup Italia, for using over-aged players in an under-20 FIFA tournament.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear