Apr 16, 2013, 8:05 AM EDT
Much to the horror of many Arsenal fans, they have just realised that there is every chance Manchester United will clinch their 13th Premier League title at The Emirates when the two sides play each other on Sunday 28th April.
Assuming United and Manchester City both win all their league games leading up to the game, United will have a 12 point lead over their rivals with four games remaining, meaning a draw would be enough to add yet another trophy to their ever-growing collection.
While the thought of United winning their title on their home turf is bad enough for Arsenal fans- Arsenal did the same to United in 2002- the fact that former hero Robin Van Persie would win it in front of his former fans is almost too much to take for some. All it will do is highlight how far Arsene Wenger’s have slipped behind United over the last few years, and why the Dutchman was right to move to a more successful club.
Van Persie left Arsenal to join Sir Alex Ferguson’s side last summer, after eight awesome years at the club, and it looks to have been the correct decision. He has scored 20 league goals in a terrific first season, and inspired the side to many wins early on in the campaign.
The 29-year-old is sure to get an aggressive reception when he returns to The Emirates, but he won’t care one bit if he’s celebrating a league title at the end of the game.
It will be interesting to see how he responds to the Arsenal fans if that does happen. It could go one way or the other.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8