Apr 18, 2013, 7:44 AM EDT
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao, one of the hottest properties in world soccer at the moment, has cooled talk of him moving to Manchester United at the end of the season.
The 27-year-old Colombian international has been linked with many of Europe’s top clubs of late, with his goalscoring exploits gaining worldwide attention. United are the latest to be rumoured to making a huge bid for his services.
“In recent weeks I have tried to isolate myself and not think about the rumours about my future,” said Falcao, in an interview with Colombian radio station RCN.
“I don’t really know where this information come from (joining Manchester United), that is part of the press.
“I’m focused only on Atletico Madrid. I do not let the market rumours affect my performance,” he added.
The Colombian joined Atletico in the summer of 2011, after an equally prolific spell at Portuguese giants Porto between 2009 and 2011. Many believe that in terms of out-and-out strikers at the moment, Falcao is as good as anyone in the world. The likes of Luis Suarez, Robin Van Persie and Edinson Cavani may have something to say about that, but he’s certainly in the mix. He is quick, strong, works hard for the team and is lethal in front of goal.
Falcao scored 30 goals in 34 appearances for Atletico this season, and is only behind Lionel Messi and Cristiano in the La Liga goalscorer rankings.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3