Apr 18, 2013, 7:44 AM EST
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao, one of the hottest properties in world soccer at the moment, has cooled talk of him moving to Manchester United at the end of the season.
The 27-year-old Colombian international has been linked with many of Europe’s top clubs of late, with his goalscoring exploits gaining worldwide attention. United are the latest to be rumoured to making a huge bid for his services.
“In recent weeks I have tried to isolate myself and not think about the rumours about my future,” said Falcao, in an interview with Colombian radio station RCN.
“I don’t really know where this information come from (joining Manchester United), that is part of the press.
“I’m focused only on Atletico Madrid. I do not let the market rumours affect my performance,” he added.
The Colombian joined Atletico in the summer of 2011, after an equally prolific spell at Portuguese giants Porto between 2009 and 2011. Many believe that in terms of out-and-out strikers at the moment, Falcao is as good as anyone in the world. The likes of Luis Suarez, Robin Van Persie and Edinson Cavani may have something to say about that, but he’s certainly in the mix. He is quick, strong, works hard for the team and is lethal in front of goal.
Falcao scored 30 goals in 34 appearances for Atletico this season, and is only behind Lionel Messi and Cristiano in the La Liga goalscorer rankings.
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park