Apr 18, 2013, 7:44 AM EDT
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao, one of the hottest properties in world soccer at the moment, has cooled talk of him moving to Manchester United at the end of the season.
The 27-year-old Colombian international has been linked with many of Europe’s top clubs of late, with his goalscoring exploits gaining worldwide attention. United are the latest to be rumoured to making a huge bid for his services.
“In recent weeks I have tried to isolate myself and not think about the rumours about my future,” said Falcao, in an interview with Colombian radio station RCN.
“I don’t really know where this information come from (joining Manchester United), that is part of the press.
“I’m focused only on Atletico Madrid. I do not let the market rumours affect my performance,” he added.
The Colombian joined Atletico in the summer of 2011, after an equally prolific spell at Portuguese giants Porto between 2009 and 2011. Many believe that in terms of out-and-out strikers at the moment, Falcao is as good as anyone in the world. The likes of Luis Suarez, Robin Van Persie and Edinson Cavani may have something to say about that, but he’s certainly in the mix. He is quick, strong, works hard for the team and is lethal in front of goal.
Falcao scored 30 goals in 34 appearances for Atletico this season, and is only behind Lionel Messi and Cristiano in the La Liga goalscorer rankings.
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 13
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0