Apr 18, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Chelsea registered a crucial 3-0 win over Fulham on Wednesday, in their quest for Champions League football next season.
Rather than Demba Ba, Fernando Torres or Juan Mata making the headlines for their offensive exploits, it was captain John Terry who was the unlikely goalscoring hero on the night.
The 32-year-old Chelsea legend has made just three league starts in the 2013, but he showed what an integral member of the squad he still is, with two headers in the impressive victory at Craven Cottage. David Luiz’s sensational strike opened the scoring before Terry took center stage.
The former England skipper has lost his regular place in the starting lineup under Rafa Benitez, and while some believe his best days are behind him he still carries that influence and inspiration that not many have. Whether you love him or loathe him is irrelevant, Chelsea have a different aura about them when he is on the pitch.
Terry’s love for Chelsea Football Club and ‘win at all costs’ attitude will be invaluable for Benitez’s side between now and the end of the season. England miss his authority at the back hugely since his retirement from international soccer last year.
Despite his lack of first-team action this season he has still managed six goals, which for center-back is more than respectable.
Benitez would be mad not to recall him for every game from now until the end of the season, assuming he stays fit.
Terry has been captain of Chelsea since the age of 24, and led them Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006 under Jose Mourinho. He has made 560 appearances for the club, scoring 55 goals.
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0