Apr 18, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
ProSoccerTalk’s periodic Panic Quotient (®) takes the temperature of stress and distress in the streets of Major League Soccer and along the boulevards of the global game.
This one is an all-manager edition:
- New York Red Bulls manager Mike Petke:
So many people are cheering for the rookie head coach, mostly because he is so quintessentially “New York Red Bull.” But something will eventually have to give. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But the pressure is certainly mounting with just eight points from eight games for the league’s highest payroll, plus an amount of goals surrendered (11) that we will label “concerning.”
Speaking of “adding pressure,” Red Bull Soccer global sporting director Gerard Houllier was there last night to watch a 1-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City, a loss that included Juninho’s late, mad moment. Presumably, Houllier heard the boos begin to careen around the ground. And speaking of the Harrison facility, the club has just four of a possible nine points at home, with just two goals scored.
Panic quotient = moderate, along the lines of …: In-laws renovating their place, announce they will be coming for a stay. A fairly long stay.
- Seattle Sounders manager Sigi Schmid:
The only mitigating factor as we consider Seattle’s listless start is this: Schmid’s team has played just five games so far, fewer than any other team. So there’s time to pull this winless, hapless cart out of the ditch. Question is, can they?
As this piece of panic-related content points out, no MLS playoff team in 2011 or 2012 began with five consecutive winless matches.
There is also some hope in getting the club’s top pair of strikers healthy, Eddie Johnson and Obafemi Martins. Because at present this team just cannot score. Either way, the slow start will build on mounting organizational frustration regarding the club’s lack of ability to make any progress in the MLS playoffs. And when organizational frustration mounts, we know where the blame goes initially.
Panic quotient = moderate high, along the line of …: Backyard BBQ catches on fire. In strong winds.
- Chicago Fire manager Frank Klopas:
Just when it looked like things might get a little better, this? Word is that defender Arne Friedrich (practically wearing a Superman’s cape these days, the way everyone seems to be waiting around for the German vet to come rescue this wandering lot) may be out even longer than first feared.
Klopas’ men, second from the bottom in the East, have three of a possible nine points at home this year, making the weekend’s contest at Toyota Park against Columbus fairly critical.
Panic quotient = high, along the lines of …: Test results are back. Doc wants you to come in as soon as possible to talk over things in person. “Don’t you worry … we’re going to beat this thing!”
Dec 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
A move in the works for a few days is completed, but it’s just the first step in Toronto FC’s offseason master plan.
Dec 13, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The Chelsea manager was amused at the links of Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney to London in January.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Can Arsenal break through City’s splendid home form?
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy