Apr 18, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Sporting Lisbon have told Arsenal that they will have to pay somewhere in the region of $20 million for the services of their goalkeeper Rui Patricio, according to The Express.
One of Arsenal’s weakest areas this season has been in goal, with Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski both failing to convince Arsene Wenger that they are the long-term solution between the sticks.
While their main rivals in the Premier League have ‘keepers like Joe Hart, Pepe Reina, Petr Cech, Hugo Lloris and David De Gea, Szczesny and Fabianski simply aren’t on their level, and they have struggled to fill the void left by Jens Lehmann since the ‘Invincibles’ era of the mid 00s.
Patricio is arguably Portugal’s first-choice ‘keeper right now, and the 25-year-old is regarded as one of the most talented young players in his position in European soccer.
Portuguese newspaper A Bola claims the fee that Lisbon have slapped on Patricio is $20m/£13m, and only then will the club listen to offers for their player.
Another ‘keeper who has been linked with a move to The Emirates is the Hamburger SV and Germany international Rene Adler, who is thought to be available at a much cheaper price than the Portuguese star. Despite this, Wenger has set his sights on Patricio as his future number one, seeing it as a key area to improve as they look to make a title push next season.
Patricio has spent his entire career at Sporting Lisbon, playing 242 games thus far between his debut in 2006 and the present day.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 6
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)