Apr 18, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Sporting Lisbon have told Arsenal that they will have to pay somewhere in the region of $20 million for the services of their goalkeeper Rui Patricio, according to The Express.
One of Arsenal’s weakest areas this season has been in goal, with Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski both failing to convince Arsene Wenger that they are the long-term solution between the sticks.
While their main rivals in the Premier League have ‘keepers like Joe Hart, Pepe Reina, Petr Cech, Hugo Lloris and David De Gea, Szczesny and Fabianski simply aren’t on their level, and they have struggled to fill the void left by Jens Lehmann since the ‘Invincibles’ era of the mid 00s.
Patricio is arguably Portugal’s first-choice ‘keeper right now, and the 25-year-old is regarded as one of the most talented young players in his position in European soccer.
Portuguese newspaper A Bola claims the fee that Lisbon have slapped on Patricio is $20m/£13m, and only then will the club listen to offers for their player.
Another ‘keeper who has been linked with a move to The Emirates is the Hamburger SV and Germany international Rene Adler, who is thought to be available at a much cheaper price than the Portuguese star. Despite this, Wenger has set his sights on Patricio as his future number one, seeing it as a key area to improve as they look to make a title push next season.
Patricio has spent his entire career at Sporting Lisbon, playing 242 games thus far between his debut in 2006 and the present day.
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 3
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2