Apr 19, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
This closes the loop on Week 7’s most outrageous, surreal moment.
Seconds after scoring a dramatic, late game-winning goal to beat the MLS Cup champions, FC Dallas center back George John was left bloodied by an aluminum beer bottle thrown from the nearby supporters group area, just behind the FC Dallas Stadium north stands.
John needed stitches to close the gash in his head but was otherwise in good humor about the entire, bizarre episode.
Police in suburban Frisco immediately identified the man. Today, FC Dallas announced that he has been banned from the facility indefinitely. From the club:
Authorities have identified the individual who threw an object onto the field during Saturday’s match against the LA Galaxy. We sincerely appreciate the FC Dallas supporters who helped identify the person responsible. This individual was not a member of any of our supporters’ groups, and as a result of his actions, he has been banned from FC Dallas Stadium and complex.”
The team also announced that it will no longer sell beer in the aluminum cans; smart choice. Let’s hope other clubs take note if they are still selling aluminum bottles. Because fans do react, and things do get thrown. We see it every week.
The trick, of course, is not to offer up anything dangerous for the mad moments when emotion takes over. The most damage a cup of beer is likely to do: dousing the person in front of you.
- Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S. 8
- Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew 1
- Sheffield United 2-2 Tottenham: Eriksen sees Spurs to All-London final in absolute thriller 2
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Lots will be drawn to determine second place in Group D 0
- Queens Park Rangers’ Canadian winger Junior Hoilett on Toronto FC, relegation battles and more 0
- English FA charge Chelsea’s Diego Costa with violent conduct after stamp, may miss Man City match 1