Apr 20, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
Everyone knows that Blas Perez can score; everyone paying attention, anyway.
The FC Dallas man did so again Saturday as the Western Conference leaders took down visiting Vancouver in Texas, 2-0. Perez has goals in three of the four matches he has gotten into this year.
But what isn’t so well known, perhaps, is how much work Perez does on defensive set pieces. The Panamanian international works hard in aggressively clearing free kicks and corner kicks, as he did time and again Saturday against Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps.
Vancouver was shut out for the first time this year as FC Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez had a fairly quiet night.
Only for about 15 minutes did Vancouver get a toehold on the match, making Dallas work a little harder on defense right after Darren Mattocks and Gershon Koffie came in right around the hour mark.
Otherwise, the home team’s central midfield triangle (Michel, Andrew Jacobson and David Ferriera) were in charge. FCD center back George John figured in on the game-winning goal once again, applying the pressure that turned into an early strike for the home team.
And Perez scored, as he does a lot. The Panamanian striker has 12 goals 25 MLS appearances.
Until the full highlight pack is up, here is Perez’s second half strike. (He looks offside, but replays showed the referee’s assistant got it right.)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 0
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)