Apr 20, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Everyone knows that Blas Perez can score; everyone paying attention, anyway.
The FC Dallas man did so again Saturday as the Western Conference leaders took down visiting Vancouver in Texas, 2-0. Perez has goals in three of the four matches he has gotten into this year.
But what isn’t so well known, perhaps, is how much work Perez does on defensive set pieces. The Panamanian international works hard in aggressively clearing free kicks and corner kicks, as he did time and again Saturday against Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps.
Vancouver was shut out for the first time this year as FC Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez had a fairly quiet night.
Only for about 15 minutes did Vancouver get a toehold on the match, making Dallas work a little harder on defense right after Darren Mattocks and Gershon Koffie came in right around the hour mark.
Otherwise, the home team’s central midfield triangle (Michel, Andrew Jacobson and David Ferriera) were in charge. FCD center back George John figured in on the game-winning goal once again, applying the pressure that turned into an early strike for the home team.
And Perez scored, as he does a lot. The Panamanian striker has 12 goals 25 MLS appearances.
Until the full highlight pack is up, here is Perez’s second half strike. (He looks offside, but replays showed the referee’s assistant got it right.)
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of visit from Arsenal – UEFA Champions League 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad