Apr 20, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Everyone knows that Blas Perez can score; everyone paying attention, anyway.
The FC Dallas man did so again Saturday as the Western Conference leaders took down visiting Vancouver in Texas, 2-0. Perez has goals in three of the four matches he has gotten into this year.
But what isn’t so well known, perhaps, is how much work Perez does on defensive set pieces. The Panamanian international works hard in aggressively clearing free kicks and corner kicks, as he did time and again Saturday against Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps.
Vancouver was shut out for the first time this year as FC Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez had a fairly quiet night.
Only for about 15 minutes did Vancouver get a toehold on the match, making Dallas work a little harder on defense right after Darren Mattocks and Gershon Koffie came in right around the hour mark.
Otherwise, the home team’s central midfield triangle (Michel, Andrew Jacobson and David Ferriera) were in charge. FCD center back George John figured in on the game-winning goal once again, applying the pressure that turned into an early strike for the home team.
And Perez scored, as he does a lot. The Panamanian striker has 12 goals 25 MLS appearances.
Until the full highlight pack is up, here is Perez’s second half strike. (He looks offside, but replays showed the referee’s assistant got it right.)
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 1
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 6
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0