Apr 20, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Houston had the league’s deepest midfield to begin Saturday, but will not end the day as such.
Injuries are beginning to mount in the middle third for the Dynamo and, though it’s too early for any prognosis, the departures of Brad Davis and Adam Moffat from Saturday’s match in Toronto are certainly concerning for manager Dominic Kinnear and Co.
Moffat, the team’s stabilizing arm from his holding midfield position, left in the first half with an undisclosed injury.
Davis, with more assists over the last four seasons than any MLS man, left at halftime with a groin injury.
The Dynamo do have enviable midfield cover. In fact, Kinnear probably has the deepest midfield in MLS. Scottish winger Andrew Driver, who has proven to be a force in some matches so far, is a naturally left-footed player and can fill in more than capably along Davis’ usual flank.
Ricardo Clark has generally played higher up the field as Moffat’s central midfield partner, but he can surely perform in the more recessed role. That was always his spot during Clark’s first go-round with the Dynamo, helping the team toward those MLS Cup triumphs of the last decade.
This may add a little pressure on Boniek Garcia, who remains on the mend from an Achilles problem. Garcia was available on the bench Saturday.
(More on the match itself later at ProSoccerTalk)
- Premier League Relegation Watch: Clubs primed to go down (Matchweek 30) 1
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool’s title charge for real? Chelsea implode, resilient Manchester City 0
- Premier League Title Watch: Evaluating the contenders (Matchweek 30) 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Guzan blanks Chelsea, Cameron steady again 1
- Steven Gerrard: “Liverpool are genuine title contenders.” Do you agree? 3
- Messi becomes Barca’s all-time leading scorer with hat trick, Iniesta nets beauty as Blaugrana hang 7 on Osasuna 0
- Liga MX Radar: Mediocrity or Competition?
- Bundesliga Relegation Battle Heating Up
- Looking Ahead at the Galaxy II USL PRO Debut this Season
- Keira Knightley:Gary Neville is f***ing amazing. Absolutely f***ing amazing
- True Hero! After Being Shot in Head in Mexican Bar, Cabañas Finds New Club
- Ibrahimovic Breaks 36-Year-Old Scoring Record
- Napoli's Aurelio De Laurentis Interested in Major League Soccer
- San Jose Earthquakes: The Team that Refuses to Grow Up
- Fernandez Late Goal Earns Another Draw for Portland Against Fire
- Ten-Man Chivas USA Preserve Draw Against Whitecaps