Apr 20, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
Houston had the league’s deepest midfield to begin Saturday, but will not end the day as such.
Injuries are beginning to mount in the middle third for the Dynamo and, though it’s too early for any prognosis, the departures of Brad Davis and Adam Moffat from Saturday’s match in Toronto are certainly concerning for manager Dominic Kinnear and Co.
Moffat, the team’s stabilizing arm from his holding midfield position, left in the first half with an undisclosed injury.
Davis, with more assists over the last four seasons than any MLS man, left at halftime with a groin injury.
The Dynamo do have enviable midfield cover. In fact, Kinnear probably has the deepest midfield in MLS. Scottish winger Andrew Driver, who has proven to be a force in some matches so far, is a naturally left-footed player and can fill in more than capably along Davis’ usual flank.
Ricardo Clark has generally played higher up the field as Moffat’s central midfield partner, but he can surely perform in the more recessed role. That was always his spot during Clark’s first go-round with the Dynamo, helping the team toward those MLS Cup triumphs of the last decade.
This may add a little pressure on Boniek Garcia, who remains on the mend from an Achilles problem. Garcia was available on the bench Saturday.
(More on the match itself later at ProSoccerTalk)
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 5
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)