Apr 21, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
The rants and raves are pouring in for Landon Donovan – and it’s pretty hard to argue the point.
Even when not at the tippy-top of his game, Donovan is enough to influence matters against a very good team Saturday night (in the Galaxy’s 2-0 win over Eastern Conference leaders Sporting Kansas City).
So the attention will soon turn to what else Donovan might do. More to the point, of course, we are talking about whether the U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer will soon be influencing a U.S. national team match?
To look at the timing is to see a pretty good window lining up for the Galaxy attacker, who has said he wants to be part of Jurgen Klinsmann plan, assuming the German-born boss wants him. Donovan still has three-four weeks of league matches to play his way into better shape and further sharpness before Klinsmann will gather his best players for a short May training camp. That camp precedes an important set of high-profile friendlies against Germany and Belgium.
And those friendlies precede three important June qualifiers – Really, is there any other kind of World Cup qualifier? – starting with a match on June 7 at Jamaica. (The U.S. schedule is here.) Once that month is up, the United States will be more than halfway through its final round road to Brazil 2014; we should have a much clearer picture on whether the United States is in good shape or whether the effort is wandering off into ditch.
So, back to Donovan:
Klinsmann’s team needs some width, and another attack-minded brain. It wouldn’t be bad to have a little more veteran wile, either, a little more “been there, done that.” For all the “good” that went on in Guerra de Nieve last month outside Denver, the United States lacked some composure with those silly fouls in the end. Given that Carlos Bocanegra has apparently lost his place, and depending on the recently injured Steve Cherundolo’s status, a big supply of veteran know-how to balance all the young talent seems rather prudent.
If you find yourself saying, “Donovan checks all those boxes,” join the club.
Long story short, assuming Donovan keeps progressing, it looks more and more inevitable that he’ll be folded back into the national team mix.
Robbie Keane sees good things from his teammate, and the veteran Irish striker certainly knows his way around the international game. Here’s what he had to say about Donovan’s one-goal, one-assist performance last night:
You have to give people a bit of time. It takes a four or five games to get into the swings of things. It doesn’t matter how much fitness you do away from the team or on the training field, it’s the match sharpness that is the one that is going to get you and that will only come with playing 90 minutes most week. He’s played three or four games now and when you score a goal and set one up it breeds confidence.”
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"