Apr 22, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
ProSoccerTalk’s Best XI from Week 8 in Major League Soccer includes plenty of familiar names – unlike past weeks in 2013, where so many newer faces tended to dominate the weekly Best XI talk.
- Portland Timbers’ Donovan Ricketts
Why we like him: This was a tough call between the Timbers man, who had four important stops in a draw at San Jose, and Real Salt Lake’s Nick Rimando, whose penalty kick stop was among five saves while blanking Chivas USA. Has there ever been a goalkeeper in MLS better at turning away spot shots? Doubtful. Have you seen his numbers?
- FC Dallas’ George John
- LA Galaxy’s Omar Gonzalez
- Sporting KC’s Aurelien Collin
Why we like them: Dallas’ John keeps appearing here. The guy just keeps delivering, getting it done again on defense in Round 8 and helping to create the penalty area mayhem that put the Western Conference leaders in front early against Vancouver.
Collin was part of the defense that gave up two in a loss to the LA Galaxy. But that was SKC’s second game in four nights, and it followed cross-country travel. Collin was quite strong (as was the entire Sporting back line) in blanking Thierry Henry and the Red Bulls in Harrison to begin Week 8 in MLS.
- LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan
- Seattle’s Osvaldo Alonso
- New York Red Bulls’ Dax McCarty
- FC Dallas’ David Ferreira
- Real Salt Lake’s Javier Morales
Why we like them: Shalrie Joseph supported Alonso’s busy ball-winning and distribution in the Sounders’ huge road with at Colorado – allowing Alonso to be even more, you know, “Alonso.”
Donovan had a goal and assist and just keeps moving himself in the right direction. Across the country, McCarty opened the scoring in New York’s win over New England. That was in addition to his usual chores in anchoring the midfield around Red Bull Arena.
Ferreira had his Colombian footprints all over Dallas’ early goal in the victory in North Texas, and his work on the ball helped keep the Red Stripes in charge through most of their 2-0 win.
Real Salt Lake’s playmaker had a similar night, and then some. Morales hit the game-winner and was probably the best player in the field for a big stretch of his team’s 1-0 win over Chivas USA.
- Philadelphia Union’s Jack McInerney
- Philadelphia Union’s Conor Casey (pictured above, on the right)
Why we like them: We’ve talked enough about McInerney; if you haven’t seen it, then you aren’t spending enough time with ProSoccerTalk! (And there may be more coming … hint, hint.) So let’s get on that, eh?
Meanwhile, let’s be sure to mention all of Casey’s good work in the Union’s 3-2 triumph at D.C. United. His passing and hold-up play was useful throughout the afternoon. And the former U.S. international gets his statistical due in this one, as well, with a goal and assist. Truly, this might have been Casey’s best game since 2010.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
MLS has become a decent destination for goalkeepers, with top internationals for Peru, Brazil and Panama plying their trades in the United States this season.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Djalo, 27, hasn’t found his footing in Lisbon, playing in just three matches since then and spending parts of 2012 and 2013 on loan at Toulouse in Ligue 1, where he appeared 17 times.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Arsenal has been handed a boost for their massive Tuesday task of reversing Bayern Munich’s 2-0 advantage in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It’s like playing 1 1/2, 1 3/4 games in terms of damage to your body,” said Ryan Nelsen.
Mar 10, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
That is not a lousy public high-five for a player, now, is it?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Timbers skipper staying put, as owner Paulson takes to Twitter to rejoice:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Five teams dominate selections, find out if your favorites were rewarded:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Barcelona have lost two of their last three La Liga matches, can City inflict more UCL heartache on the Catalan club?
Mar 10, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Reds are in the red… but Champions League soccer could solve that and increase the club’s financial footing:
Mar 10, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
After Shea apparently ‘flipped the bird’ Barnsley end his loan deal from Stoke early:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
USWNT lost two straight games, winless in three for the first time in 13 years:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Find out why the FA has reprimanded a Newcastle player for breaching betting rules, as some PL players continue to break rules:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
See who dazzled and shone above the rest during Week 29:
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs