Apr 22, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
One telling element of a stunner like Robin van Persie struck this afternoon against Aston Villa is the immediate, helpless reaction of the beaten and beleaguered defenders and goalkeepers.
If you haven’t seen the Dutchman’s goal today from Old Trafford, treat yourself below.
And when reviewing the highly aggressive and highly technical volley for the third or fourth time, note the way the defenders and American goalkeeper Brad Guzan immediately wear the look that says, “Well, what are you supposed to do about something like that?”
Van Persie gets a good ball out of midfield, and his run is textbook. On the other hand, Villa appears to have sufficient defensive elements in place to deal with whatever is coming. And Guzan is well positioned to claim the ball if it slips through.
So, the visitors are in place to deal with things – unless something just this side of impossible is attempted, that is.
Villa defense, meet the impossible.
Here is van Persie’s stunner, which will probably go far in helping Manchester United officially secure the English Premier League trophy that has been all but delivered to Sir Alex Ferguson et al.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0