Apr 22, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
One telling element of a stunner like Robin van Persie struck this afternoon against Aston Villa is the immediate, helpless reaction of the beaten and beleaguered defenders and goalkeepers.
If you haven’t seen the Dutchman’s goal today from Old Trafford, treat yourself below.
And when reviewing the highly aggressive and highly technical volley for the third or fourth time, note the way the defenders and American goalkeeper Brad Guzan immediately wear the look that says, “Well, what are you supposed to do about something like that?”
Van Persie gets a good ball out of midfield, and his run is textbook. On the other hand, Villa appears to have sufficient defensive elements in place to deal with whatever is coming. And Guzan is well positioned to claim the ball if it slips through.
So, the visitors are in place to deal with things – unless something just this side of impossible is attempted, that is.
Villa defense, meet the impossible.
Here is van Persie’s stunner, which will probably go far in helping Manchester United officially secure the English Premier League trophy that has been all but delivered to Sir Alex Ferguson et al.
- MLS Weekend Preview: Trio of marque marquee matches begins Friday in Frisco 0
- Early Mandzukic goal sees Atlético defeat Real Madrid, claim Spanish Super Cup 1
- Robben dominance, Malanda miss give Bayern opening match win over Wolfsburg 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: United to get it right, Arsenal to stumble 2
- Profile: The life and times of Mario Balotelli 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 2 0