Apr 23, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Major League Soccer is putting in a lot of work behind the scenes, working with the City of New York to get a new stadium project in Queens underway as soon as possible. Outgoing Mayor Michael Bloomberg is behind the effort, identifying the deals as one his legacy projects he wants underway when his third term is over at the end of the year.
Problem: Nobody seems too eager to carry the torch on this project, with nine mayoral candidates showing ambivalence when asked about the stadium during a Monday debate.
The project would use 13 acres of land in Flushing Meadows Corona Park to build a 25,000-seat stadium, where it’s assumed “NY2″ – shorthanded for the expansion team that would become Major League Soccer’s second New York franchise – would play. The franchise fee for NY2 is expected to reach $100 million.
At an event sponsored by the New York League of Conservation Voters and at the Great Hall in the Cooper Union, moderator Brian Lehrer asked for a show of hands: Who “solidly” supported the stadium project?
Nobody raised their hand.
Lehrer then asked who was against the project.
Nobody raised their hand.
One candidate, John Liu, drew the short straw and was asked to explain his indecisiveness:
“When they talk about alienating parkland for a stadium, they always make promises of making sure that the parkland is restored in another different park in the borough or in the city. Unfortunately, under this administration, we have seen a couple of other stadiums that have been built, and the parks facilities and spaces not being made available until the public, until a huge amount of public pressure was put to bear on the administration. So, there’s a credibility factor here. And I certainly, in the case of the Major League Soccer stadium that’s being proposed, and I do believe the administration is pushing behind the scenes, I do not think overall it’s a good idea because they haven’t shown us exactly where they want to restore the parkland.”
That can’t be good: “I do not think overall it’s a good idea.” Then again, John Liu is running third in recent polls, trailing Christine Quinn and Anthony Weiner.
But with nobody willing to step forward to support the stadium, who knows: Liu’s feelings may reflect others’ questions about MLS’s Queens Stadium. Regardless, it may be much better for MLS’s stadium dreams if ground broke on the venue while Bloomberg was in office.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park