Apr 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Landon Donovan is the U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer. Ditto for his days with the LA Galaxy; he’s the all-time leading scorer for Major League Soccer’s two-time defending champs.
But Donovan, as noted here before, as a great chance to pull off an “All-time MLS Double” that may never be duplicated: He still has a wonderful opportunity to become Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer and all-time leading assist man.
I have written for the last two or three years that Donovan would become the league’s all-time leading scorer sometime this season. Clearly, an R&R sabbatical was never in the equation. No matter … Donovan will score the goals that will move him from third (currently) to first later this year or by mid-season 2014, barring more time off or injury misfortune, that is.
That assist record, a little more distant over the horizon? It will surely be tougher. Right now Donovan is 23 assists behind Steve Ralston. The Galaxy man has averaged 11 assists over the last three seasons, so he may need to play into 2015 to claim that one. At 30 years old right now, that is hardly out of the question for Donovan.
Either way, here is where the man stands on the current all-time lists:
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"