Apr 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Landon Donovan is the U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer. Ditto for his days with the LA Galaxy; he’s the all-time leading scorer for Major League Soccer’s two-time defending champs.
But Donovan, as noted here before, as a great chance to pull off an “All-time MLS Double” that may never be duplicated: He still has a wonderful opportunity to become Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer and all-time leading assist man.
I have written for the last two or three years that Donovan would become the league’s all-time leading scorer sometime this season. Clearly, an R&R sabbatical was never in the equation. No matter … Donovan will score the goals that will move him from third (currently) to first later this year or by mid-season 2014, barring more time off or injury misfortune, that is.
That assist record, a little more distant over the horizon? It will surely be tougher. Right now Donovan is 23 assists behind Steve Ralston. The Galaxy man has averaged 11 assists over the last three seasons, so he may need to play into 2015 to claim that one. At 30 years old right now, that is hardly out of the question for Donovan.
Either way, here is where the man stands on the current all-time lists:
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 0
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 2
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0