Apr 24, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
As quickly as Kevin Davies’ move seemed to be gathering pace this morning, the Englishman has slammed the breaks on a potential switch to Toronto FC.
The Bolton Wanderers striker, who is out of contract in June, has released the following statement.
“It has been a complete roller coaster since first speaking with Ryan Nelsen on 18th April,” Davies said. “As it stands today I will not be leaving for Toronto FC as reported.”
Davies went on to explain that he was “very excited about the opportunity of going to Toronto on a short-term deal” but revealed issues moving his family abroad with him stopped the move in its tracks.
But Toronto fans don’t despair. It seems as if the several trips Ryan Nelsen and his technical staff made to South America in the off-season have been fruitful.
Reports surfacing from Argentina have Argentinos Juniors central midfielder Matías Laba heading to TFC. The same story believes Laba will arrive in Toronto on April 29.
Laba could be the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle for Nelsen. His Toronto side are clearly built on solid defensive foundations but have lacked creativity in midfield during the 2013 season so far. He is not in the same mold as Portland’s Argentine DP Diego Valeri, but Laba can produce some sumptuous passes in the attacking third.
And with the midfielders workmanlike ethic, he’s sure to fit right in at TFC.
- Manchester United 3-1 Leicester City: Red Devils up to third 0
- Liverpool 2-0 West Ham United: Coutinho shines, Sturridge scores in return 0
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. Manchester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Leicester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1