Apr 24, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
Breaking news from across the pond this morning, as Liverpool striker Luis Suaréz has been banned for 10 EPL games.
The ban will kick in with immediate effect as Suaréz will not play again this season, and will also miss the first six games of the 2013-14 EPL campaign.
An Independent Regulatory Commission ruled that Suaréz’ bite on Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in Sunday’s draw with Chelsea, warranted an extra seven game ban.
Liverpool’s managing director Ian Ayre released the following statement on the club’s website: “Both the club and player are shocked and disappointed at the severity of today’s Independent Regulatory Commission decision. We await the written reasons tomorrow before making any further comment.”
Liverpool Football Club and Luis Suaréz now have until noon UK time on Friday to appeal the charge. If the appeal is unsuccessful, Suaréz could face an even longer ban. Suaréz accepted the initial violent conduct charge given to him but the English FA on Tuesday afternoon, but denied that he should get a ban of more than three games for his actions.
Suaréz has now been involved in a long-line of unsavory incident in his career. In November 2010 the Uruguayan was given a seven-match ban for biting PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal. Then in October 2011 he allegedly used a racially slur against Manchester United’s Patrice Evra and was found guilty and handed an eight match ban.
His latest ban is sure to strain his relationship with Liverpool further, as they are now without their top scorer for the remainder of this season, and the start of the next campaign.
Whether Suaréz will stay at Anfield and in the EPL remains to be seen, but the last time he was given a lengthy ban for biting an opponent, it lead to him leaving Ajax and joining Liverpool.
Now, Suaréz is under intense pressure to leave Liverpool after yet another blot on his copybook.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014