Chicago Fire’s Wells Thompson suspended one match

Apr 25, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT

Real Salt Lake v Colorado Rapids Getty Images

I once launched a fairly uncomfortable conversation with Wells Thompson – but one that turned out quite informative, and really quite well.

Thompson was a Colorado Rapids man then, prepping along with the rest of Gary Smith’s team for the 2010 MLS Cup final in Toronto. I had him off to the side during one interview session and told him – honestly now – that he was once on my least favorite player list. I told him, as delicately as possible, that I formerly would have labeled him a “punk” on the field.

I could say all this and not risk a punch in the nose because I also said that he had seemed to turn quite a corner, that I now saw a lot more “soccer” in his game, a lot less “menace and meanness.”

And you know what? He agreed, and was very pleasant about it. Thompson smiled a told me I was absolutely correct, that his hands were once quite dirty, so to speak, and that he had changed his life. Thompson had become much more religious, and he understood that certain ways on the soccer field were 100 percent hypocritical to the way he wanted to live his life. So he cleaned up his game, playing hard, but subtracting the high levels of griping, fouling and frustrating.

It was an interesting and informative conversation.

In a tackle last week against Columbus, the Chicago Fire midfielder got in late. Way late. Major League Soccer decided today that Thompson needed more than the yellow card issued that night, suspending the Fire midfielder-defender an extra match.

What he said about the incident from a piece at Chicago-Fire.com (You can also watch the incident in that link.)

I’d been praying about it all week hoping I wouldn’t get a suspension and thought I was actually in the clear. I guess the coaches heard late Tuesday but you know I’m just disappointed, you get a string of games in and for me, for someone that hasn’t been playing that much is such a plus.

“You finally get comfortable with the position and I feel like I’ve been playing well. I just want to keep playing and I feel like it comes at a bad time but everything happens for a reason. I’m just going to take it and get back out there next week.”

Latest Posts
  1. Sunil Gulati backs Jurgen Klinsmann following MLS dispute, USMNT “on the same page”

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

GulatiKlinsmann Getty Images

Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”

2. Diego Costa remains a doubt for Chelsea amid illness, groin strain

Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.

3. All eyes on Origi: Tim Howard, Everton wary of on-loan Liverpool forward

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Belgium v USA: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”

4. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

5. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

6. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

7. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

8. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

9. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

10. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

11. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

12. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

13. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

14. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

15. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

16. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

17. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check. Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check.

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

18. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?