Apr 25, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
Remember when Sebastien Le Toux was all that? Yeah, good times.
Caught in the wash of Jack McInerney’s rise and a back-to-the-future showing from Conor Casey, who was also quite zippy and accurate of foot in the Union’s big Round 8 road win in D.C., is the Frenchman who made his MLS name at PPL Park.
Le Toux was such a force back in 2010 and 2011, when he hit 25 goals for the Union, establishing his place as an MLS All-Star and one of the league’s most prodigious goal producers over that time.
But then 2012 happened. And now the guy can’t seem to catch a break. Because McInerney is McInerney, and Casey is looking like the Casey of 2010. That all leaves Le Toux as the odd man out. For now, at least.
It is a long season, as Union manager John Hackworth points out. Given that Le Toux works hard enough to perform out of the midfield, he’ll surely find minutes at PPL Park along the long, hot, taxing summer. (Even though young attacker Antoine Hoppenot will compete for the same minutes.)
Said Hackworth during his weekly press conference:
“Seba is very important to our team, no question. It might appear to people that he’s not playing enough, but that’s a sign of a good team, when you have depth.”
“What we will find as we go through this very long season is that Le Toux is very effective, that he’s important to us, that he plays a lot. He is very important to us and I expect him to contribute when called upon.”
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 2
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 3
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint