Apr 26, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
About Jozy Altidore: If anybody is sticking to the old saw about how goals come easy in the Dutch League, and how the man’s ongoing scoring tear doesn’t mean much, well, we may need to have words.
Because while it is true that the Holland’s Eredivisie style does provide opportunity for goals, this season that Altidore has put together really is something else.
The stack of goals continued Friday when the former New York Red Bull personally provided half the scoring in AZ’s 4-0 win over SC Heerenveen.
That gives the U.S. international 23 goals in league play and 30 across all competitions, a remarkably impressive sum by any measure.
Altidore’s place in this summer’s transfer market just keeps improving.
AZ is safely tucked into the middle of the Eredivisie pack, not a threat to get into the playoffs for a Europa League spot, but also unbothered by relegation threat.
There is, however, one biggie left in AZ’s season (probably the last big match Altidore will play for the Dutch side.) AZ owns a spot in this year’s KNVB Cup final; Having upset Ajax in the semifinals, AZ faces PSV Eindhoven at Rotterdam’s Kuip stadium on May 9. The KNVB Cup winner gains a Europa League spot.
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 2
- 2015 MLS season preview: Real Salt Lake 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 8
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3