Apr 26, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
About Jozy Altidore: If anybody is sticking to the old saw about how goals come easy in the Dutch League, and how the man’s ongoing scoring tear doesn’t mean much, well, we may need to have words.
Because while it is true that the Holland’s Eredivisie style does provide opportunity for goals, this season that Altidore has put together really is something else.
The stack of goals continued Friday when the former New York Red Bull personally provided half the scoring in AZ’s 4-0 win over SC Heerenveen.
That gives the U.S. international 23 goals in league play and 30 across all competitions, a remarkably impressive sum by any measure.
Altidore’s place in this summer’s transfer market just keeps improving.
AZ is safely tucked into the middle of the Eredivisie pack, not a threat to get into the playoffs for a Europa League spot, but also unbothered by relegation threat.
There is, however, one biggie left in AZ’s season (probably the last big match Altidore will play for the Dutch side.) AZ owns a spot in this year’s KNVB Cup final; Having upset Ajax in the semifinals, AZ faces PSV Eindhoven at Rotterdam’s Kuip stadium on May 9. The KNVB Cup winner gains a Europa League spot.
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0