Apr 26, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Just when Landon Donovan was getting into the groove, “feeling it,” as they say, an injury concern may derail the momentum.
Bummer. Especially ahead of a match that looks like one of the weekend’s best.
The Galaxy attacker, who had a goal and an assist in the Galaxy’s big Round 8 achievement, a dominant 2-0 victory over Sporting KC, is dealing with some vaguely disclosed issue in his right leg. The injury happened at some point in Saturday’s win, and the 31-year-old midfielder has been limited to work in the gym this week.
Donovan told reporters on Thursday that he hopes to be ready for the weekend trip into Utah to meet Real Salt Lake. “We’re definitely going to be cautious and always hopeful that I’ll be ready Saturday, but we’ll see,” he said.
Meanwhile, teammate Robbie Keane (pictured) is still dealing with the ankle injury picked up almost three weeks ago in Mexico during CONCACAF Champions League play. Keane didn’t stop to chat with reporters, but Donovan called the Irish international a “tough guy” and sounded optimistic that his teammate could help out against RSL.
Across the country, no one gets to be as optimistic about New York Red Bulls midfielder Dax McCarty, who will apparently miss two weeks with quadriceps strain. He is definitely out for this week’s trip in Toronto.
This is an interesting one because McCarty frequently inspires debate. I pitch my tent in the camp that says all his midfield energy (but energy applied skillfully, which is important) means a lot to the club. McCarty’s ability to cover ground becomes even more important when 38-year-old Juninho works the midfield alongside him.
Others aren’t as sure about McCarty’s influence. We may know a little more after he isn’t around for a couple of matches.
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Liverpool’s chance to tighten its grip; Fourth place in focus 0
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0
- Late Martins goal gives Seattle full points at Chivas USA (video) 0
- Grabavoy winner prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Pérez’s late goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 2
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1