Apr 26, 2013, 3:14 PM EST
A training ground injury has left D.C. United without midfielder Chris Pontius for Saturday’s trip into Ohio to face Columbus.
That’s hardly what a club needs that is winless in its last five matches, sitting uncomfortably at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings.
The cynic will point out that Pontius is struggling in 2013, yet to make anything close to the impact we all thought he would. Indeed, this seemed like the year that Pontius could turn his ongoing MLS success into a national team call-up, probably with the “B” group in this summer’s Gold Cup.
And the cynic would be correct. On the other hand, a midfield that is already missing John Thorrington and Nick DeLeon is already short on options. Pontius presents a threat at least, and whoever Ben Olsen pulls off the bench for replacement duty will not cause Columbus to worry as much.
Further, whatever Olsen was planning to shake the funk off this wayward season – perhaps moving Pontius back up to striker, for instance – will now need a re-do.
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 1
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014