Bayern Munich set Bundesliga points record with three matches left (and other records set to go down)
Apr 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
With four matches left in the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich have already set a points record, the three they earned Saturday against Freiburg pushing the new German champions to 84 on the season. Having only dropped points four times in 31 games, Bayern are on pace to finish with 92, 11 better than the previous record (81, set by Borussia Dortmund last season).
On the weekend between Champions League semifinal legs, Jupp Heynckes made major changes. Only one starter, central defender Jerome Boateng, was retained from Tuesday’s rout of Barcelona. Against Freiburg, a club battling for a top four finish, FCB still controlled the game. Their 68 percent of the match’s possession allowed Xherdan Shaqiri’s 35th minute goal to stand up.
Bayern went on to win 1-0, leaving them alone atop the list for most points in a league season.
That’s not the only German record Bayern’s set to topple:
- If they can put one more point between them and Dortmund (who came into today 20 points behind Bayern), they’ll set the mark for greatest margin of victory in a season.
- Win at home in two weeks against Augsburg and Bayern will tie the mark for most home wins in a season. They already have the record for wins on the road.
- If they don’t lose again, they’ll tie the Bundesliga record for fewest defeats (1) and fewest away losses (0).
- Sitting on 90, they’re unlikely to break the record for goals scored in a season (101), but they’ll almost certainly best the mark for fewest goals allowed. They’ve conceded 14 while the Bayern team of 2007-08 conceded the current low: 21.
- The best goal difference in Bundesliga history coming into he year was +64. Bayern’s already at +75.
- With today’s result, they’ve already set a mark for clean sheets: 20.
And there are undoubtedly a number of more granular records Bayern’s going to break over the next three weeks. While their focus will be on Champions League, they’ll be doing major damages to Germany’s record books, setting marks Pep Guardiola will be hard-pressed to improve on next season.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?
Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.
UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus
Apr 24, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
Former Barca boss Guardiola is heading back to the Nou Camp for the UCL semis.
Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.
Apr 23, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Hands off our Pep, Man City. Bayern exec says Guardiola is going nowhere.
Apr 23, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake is inching ever closer to Most Hated Rivalry in MLS.
Apr 23, 2015, 7:21 PM EDT
It’s the biggest game of Chelsea’s season, and Mourinho might have to start a 17-year-old at striker.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0