Bayern Munich set Bundesliga points record with three matches left (and other records set to go down)
Apr 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
With four matches left in the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich have already set a points record, the three they earned Saturday against Freiburg pushing the new German champions to 84 on the season. Having only dropped points four times in 31 games, Bayern are on pace to finish with 92, 11 better than the previous record (81, set by Borussia Dortmund last season).
On the weekend between Champions League semifinal legs, Jupp Heynckes made major changes. Only one starter, central defender Jerome Boateng, was retained from Tuesday’s rout of Barcelona. Against Freiburg, a club battling for a top four finish, FCB still controlled the game. Their 68 percent of the match’s possession allowed Xherdan Shaqiri’s 35th minute goal to stand up.
Bayern went on to win 1-0, leaving them alone atop the list for most points in a league season.
That’s not the only German record Bayern’s set to topple:
- If they can put one more point between them and Dortmund (who came into today 20 points behind Bayern), they’ll set the mark for greatest margin of victory in a season.
- Win at home in two weeks against Augsburg and Bayern will tie the mark for most home wins in a season. They already have the record for wins on the road.
- If they don’t lose again, they’ll tie the Bundesliga record for fewest defeats (1) and fewest away losses (0).
- Sitting on 90, they’re unlikely to break the record for goals scored in a season (101), but they’ll almost certainly best the mark for fewest goals allowed. They’ve conceded 14 while the Bayern team of 2007-08 conceded the current low: 21.
- The best goal difference in Bundesliga history coming into he year was +64. Bayern’s already at +75.
- With today’s result, they’ve already set a mark for clean sheets: 20.
And there are undoubtedly a number of more granular records Bayern’s going to break over the next three weeks. While their focus will be on Champions League, they’ll be doing major damages to Germany’s record books, setting marks Pep Guardiola will be hard-pressed to improve on next season.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Now Schneiderlin wants out as Saints’ incredible exodus continues to take a turn for the worst.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Despite not winning any silverware last season, Barcelona were big winners off the pitch.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Tevez’s father, Juan Carlos Cabral, is said to have been kidnapped in Buenos Aires and held for ransom.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Southampton duo are going nowhere, despite being linked with Tottenham switch.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Liverpool sign talented Belgian teenager, will loan him back to Lille this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Even after calling African players “banana eaters” this man is set lead the Italian FA.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
England star commits his future to the Toffees.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Valencia finally signs on, as Hammers splash the cash in search of goals.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Garber: “MLS will not expand to Miami unless we have a downtown site for the stadium.”
Jul 29, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
Howard to call games, be studio analyst, for up to 10 PL games on NBC Sports this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
A shoving match or something more sinister in Seattle?
Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Borussia Dortmund star turns down new deal, alerts European giants.
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 4
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 2
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 6