Bayern Munich set Bundesliga points record with three matches left (and other records set to go down)
Apr 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
With four matches left in the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich have already set a points record, the three they earned Saturday against Freiburg pushing the new German champions to 84 on the season. Having only dropped points four times in 31 games, Bayern are on pace to finish with 92, 11 better than the previous record (81, set by Borussia Dortmund last season).
On the weekend between Champions League semifinal legs, Jupp Heynckes made major changes. Only one starter, central defender Jerome Boateng, was retained from Tuesday’s rout of Barcelona. Against Freiburg, a club battling for a top four finish, FCB still controlled the game. Their 68 percent of the match’s possession allowed Xherdan Shaqiri’s 35th minute goal to stand up.
Bayern went on to win 1-0, leaving them alone atop the list for most points in a league season.
That’s not the only German record Bayern’s set to topple:
- If they can put one more point between them and Dortmund (who came into today 20 points behind Bayern), they’ll set the mark for greatest margin of victory in a season.
- Win at home in two weeks against Augsburg and Bayern will tie the mark for most home wins in a season. They already have the record for wins on the road.
- If they don’t lose again, they’ll tie the Bundesliga record for fewest defeats (1) and fewest away losses (0).
- Sitting on 90, they’re unlikely to break the record for goals scored in a season (101), but they’ll almost certainly best the mark for fewest goals allowed. They’ve conceded 14 while the Bayern team of 2007-08 conceded the current low: 21.
- The best goal difference in Bundesliga history coming into he year was +64. Bayern’s already at +75.
- With today’s result, they’ve already set a mark for clean sheets: 20.
And there are undoubtedly a number of more granular records Bayern’s going to break over the next three weeks. While their focus will be on Champions League, they’ll be doing major damages to Germany’s record books, setting marks Pep Guardiola will be hard-pressed to improve on next season.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Marcelo Claure has hinted that news regarding a potential MLS franchise in Miami could soon be on it’s way.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
“Remy could have scored, Terry could have scored, Hazard could have scored, but that’s football,” Mourinho said.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
Gazzetta dello Sport claims that one CSKA fan who had been stabbed in the stomach.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Gotta love Ajax fans, they’re always loud, positive and pretty darn clever.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Living off the counter-attack, Schalke looked for Draxler every time out the gates.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Toure’s inept displays bring up question marks over his commitment to Man City.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
What happened across Europe in the Champions League? Here’s a recap of all eight games.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
A solid outing by Chelsea but Jose Mourinho’s side will rue their lack of finishing in the final third.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
An impressive display from Roma who will fancy their chances of an upset against Manchester City and Bayern Munich in Group E.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Boateng’s late volley hands Bayern win against stubborn City.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
Nothing like breaking your nose in the third minute and playing the full 90. Beast.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Find out what’s going on around Europe as the group stage openers continue.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
The former Manchester United legend has had difficulty finding results for the troubled Welsh side.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
For live updates from the Allianz Arena, look no further.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
After a hot start to their Premier League campaign, Aston Villa has extended Paul Lambert’s contract until June of 2018.
Sep 17, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
On this day 14 years ago, Barcelona signed Lionel Messi. The rest is history.
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0
- Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City: Last-gasp win for Bayern in Bavaria 2