Bayern Munich set Bundesliga points record with three matches left (and other records set to go down)
Apr 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
With four matches left in the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich have already set a points record, the three they earned Saturday against Freiburg pushing the new German champions to 84 on the season. Having only dropped points four times in 31 games, Bayern are on pace to finish with 92, 11 better than the previous record (81, set by Borussia Dortmund last season).
On the weekend between Champions League semifinal legs, Jupp Heynckes made major changes. Only one starter, central defender Jerome Boateng, was retained from Tuesday’s rout of Barcelona. Against Freiburg, a club battling for a top four finish, FCB still controlled the game. Their 68 percent of the match’s possession allowed Xherdan Shaqiri’s 35th minute goal to stand up.
Bayern went on to win 1-0, leaving them alone atop the list for most points in a league season.
That’s not the only German record Bayern’s set to topple:
- If they can put one more point between them and Dortmund (who came into today 20 points behind Bayern), they’ll set the mark for greatest margin of victory in a season.
- Win at home in two weeks against Augsburg and Bayern will tie the mark for most home wins in a season. They already have the record for wins on the road.
- If they don’t lose again, they’ll tie the Bundesliga record for fewest defeats (1) and fewest away losses (0).
- Sitting on 90, they’re unlikely to break the record for goals scored in a season (101), but they’ll almost certainly best the mark for fewest goals allowed. They’ve conceded 14 while the Bayern team of 2007-08 conceded the current low: 21.
- The best goal difference in Bundesliga history coming into he year was +64. Bayern’s already at +75.
- With today’s result, they’ve already set a mark for clean sheets: 20.
And there are undoubtedly a number of more granular records Bayern’s going to break over the next three weeks. While their focus will be on Champions League, they’ll be doing major damages to Germany’s record books, setting marks Pep Guardiola will be hard-pressed to improve on next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
With Queens Park Rangers relegated to the Championship, the club wants to get top dollar for star striker Charlie Austin.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
Pride is on the line as Peru and Paraguay look to take home third place at the 2015 Copa America.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Anelka now a manager? Oh how times have changed…
Jul 3, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Women’s players can get representation from FIFPro for the first time in the continued fight for equality.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
The West Midlands club released a statement today that new ownership should be in place “by the end of this month.”
Jul 3, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Fiorentina has lawyered up as the Chelsea winger has reportedly refused to return to the club on another loan.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT
Three suggested lineups for Jurgen Klinsmann ahead of the USA vs. Guatemala on Friday.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Martunis’ incredible story will now continue in Lisbon.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Analyzing where the final in Santiago on Saturday will be won and lost.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Another day, another healthy dollop of gossip from around the Premier League.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Get ready for some PL action under the lights on a Friday night. Well, one game on a Friday, at least.
Slaven Bilic called “The Special One,” accused of disrespect after West Ham’s Europa League qualifier
Jul 3, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Hammers boss is, well, hammered, for not standing in the dugout in a Europa League qualifier.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
“El Tigre” has landed with the reigning Premier League champs. Good business from Mourinho?
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The second half of the MLS season kicks off Friday night. We’ve got four must-watch games for all to see.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT
Fans of the Citizens and Les Parisiens get ready for a summer of big spending…
Jul 3, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Biden’s love for soccer continues to grow, as a presidential delegation is heading to Vancouver.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
“Come for the game, stay for the fireworks show afterwards!”
Jul 2, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
The end is nigh for Freddy Adu’s professional soccer career, isn’t it? This has to be as low as it goes.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
One last chance for Jurgen Klinsmann to tinker and fine-tune before the USMNT defends its Gold Cup title.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Japan head coach Norio Sasaki: “I do not feel badly for Laura Bassett.”
- FOLLOW LIVE — Copa America: Peru and Paraguay clash for third place 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 3
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0