Bayern Munich set Bundesliga points record with three matches left (and other records set to go down)
Apr 27, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
With four matches left in the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich have already set a points record, the three they earned Saturday against Freiburg pushing the new German champions to 84 on the season. Having only dropped points four times in 31 games, Bayern are on pace to finish with 92, 11 better than the previous record (81, set by Borussia Dortmund last season).
On the weekend between Champions League semifinal legs, Jupp Heynckes made major changes. Only one starter, central defender Jerome Boateng, was retained from Tuesday’s rout of Barcelona. Against Freiburg, a club battling for a top four finish, FCB still controlled the game. Their 68 percent of the match’s possession allowed Xherdan Shaqiri’s 35th minute goal to stand up.
Bayern went on to win 1-0, leaving them alone atop the list for most points in a league season.
That’s not the only German record Bayern’s set to topple:
- If they can put one more point between them and Dortmund (who came into today 20 points behind Bayern), they’ll set the mark for greatest margin of victory in a season.
- Win at home in two weeks against Augsburg and Bayern will tie the mark for most home wins in a season. They already have the record for wins on the road.
- If they don’t lose again, they’ll tie the Bundesliga record for fewest defeats (1) and fewest away losses (0).
- Sitting on 90, they’re unlikely to break the record for goals scored in a season (101), but they’ll almost certainly best the mark for fewest goals allowed. They’ve conceded 14 while the Bayern team of 2007-08 conceded the current low: 21.
- The best goal difference in Bundesliga history coming into he year was +64. Bayern’s already at +75.
- With today’s result, they’ve already set a mark for clean sheets: 20.
And there are undoubtedly a number of more granular records Bayern’s going to break over the next three weeks. While their focus will be on Champions League, they’ll be doing major damages to Germany’s record books, setting marks Pep Guardiola will be hard-pressed to improve on next season.
Sep 4, 2015, 10:39 PM EDT
The United States put in a pretty good team performance tonight, but questions still remain at center-back.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
A superb second half comeback from Klinsmann’s boys has exonerated some of the Gold Cup demons.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:37 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was handed the captain’s armband tonight, and his two goals were the difference in Washington D.C.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The skipper stepped up big time to turn things around.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
U.S. trailed 1-0 at the break after this goal from Chavez via Gonzalez’s back.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Paul Pogba was wanted by every club in the world this summer, but even some pretty massive wages couldn’t bring him to leave Juventus.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
Tonight’s match may be a friendly, but it’s way more than that for Jurgen Klinsmann and the United States.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:57 PM EDT
After being essentially cut from Tottenham, Adebayor was a no-show for his national team.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
The transfer window may have closed, but the war of words between Manchester United and Real Madrid is still going strong.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
A massive loss for the Cherries as Tyrone Mings’ season is over after tearing his ACL and MCL against Leicester City.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
We need a bigger term than sitter for this Japan miss. Sofa? Futon? Beanbag chair?
With two friendlies before the Confederations Cup playoff, who should be the USMNT’s center back pair?
Sep 4, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
The USMNT’s Tinkerman takes a lot of risks with his formation and use of his best players (See: Bradley, Michael), but there is at least one area where we just don’t get it: center backs.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:37 PM EDT
We caught up with the man tasked with taking the USA to Rio.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Who knew we could’ve settled this whole thing ages ago, just by asking smokers in England?
Sep 4, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
Son scored in the 12th, 74th and 89th minutes of South Korea’s 8-0 win over Laos in AFC World Cup qualifying on Thursday.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Week 27 is upon, and though international call-ups have decimated a number of teams, this weekend’s MLS action should still be decent.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:22 AM EDT
Perez says a move that should’ve taken an hour “took eight”, and blasted the Red Devils’ chairman by using examples from 2013.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A 6-foot-4 American striker has Providence aiming for another College Cup, and U.S. Soccer fans on notice.
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Peru 0
- Three things we learned from USMNT’s comeback win vs. Peru 0
- USMNT 2-1 Peru: Altidore double leads USA to come-from-behind win 0
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 6
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0