Apr 27, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
This is not how you want to start your day when you’re battling for your Premier League lives.
Wigan came into the day sitting 18th in the Premier League, and although the three-point gap between them and 17th place Aston Villa is mitigated by their match in hand, the Latics need to start getting points from matches like today’s if they’re going to track down Paul Lambert’s side.
With a team of Tottenham’s quality in town, that’s easier said than done, especially after this ninth minute goal from Gareth Bale. With the Spurs attacker pressing with Jermaine Defoe high against the Wigan defense, defender Maynor Figueroa was forced into a back pass that he should have taken a little more seriously. The ball allowed Bale to close down Latics’ goalkeeper Joel, leading to this improbably opening salvo.
Wigan would eventually bring themselves back into the match (which is ongoing, at the time of this post), but gifting tough teams aberrational goals, the Latics are not making Premier League survival any easier on themselves.
- MLS Cup Playoffs Preview: Red Bulls vs. Revolution, Galaxy vs. Sounders in Conference Championship first legs 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 4
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 1