Apr 27, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
This is not how you want to start your day when you’re battling for your Premier League lives.
Wigan came into the day sitting 18th in the Premier League, and although the three-point gap between them and 17th place Aston Villa is mitigated by their match in hand, the Latics need to start getting points from matches like today’s if they’re going to track down Paul Lambert’s side.
With a team of Tottenham’s quality in town, that’s easier said than done, especially after this ninth minute goal from Gareth Bale. With the Spurs attacker pressing with Jermaine Defoe high against the Wigan defense, defender Maynor Figueroa was forced into a back pass that he should have taken a little more seriously. The ball allowed Bale to close down Latics’ goalkeeper Joel, leading to this improbably opening salvo.
Wigan would eventually bring themselves back into the match (which is ongoing, at the time of this post), but gifting tough teams aberrational goals, the Latics are not making Premier League survival any easier on themselves.
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 4
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 7
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2