Apr 28, 2013, 5:25 PM EST
Thinking of buying stock in Brek Shea? Hmmm, you might be better to “sell” at the moment.
Another weekend has come and gone with the Stoke City winger nowhere in sight. If you’re disappointed in the young U.S. man’s inability to make progress up Tony Pulis depth chart, you’ve got nothing on Jurgen Klinsmann.
Shea did not play as Stoke scored an important 1-0 win over Norwich. (Geoff Cameron didn’t start in this one, by the way, but did play the final half hour.)
The United States national team coach isn’t exactly saying so – not with his words, at any rate – but if you listen to Klinsmann it seems clear that he is less than pleased with how Shea’s transfer is working out. Or, better put, how it is not working out. Not for now, at least.
Listen to what Klinsmann had to say on Wednesday during that media summit, attended by a few U.S. journalists, including your ProSoccerTalk pal here.
Obviously they make their own decisions and they have to deal with the consequences, and by ‘consequences’ I mean with the situation they are facing. Brek Shea badly, badly wanted to go to Stoke City and now he’s not playing there, at all. He’s not even in the 18 at all, and he has to deal with that.
Klinsmann was asked if Shea discussed the winter move from FC Dallas to Stoke City.
Uh, no. No. Not really. I discussed it with [MLS vice president]Todd Durbin, but he badly, badly wanted that move. It is now what it is. It’s not helping us if he’s not in their first 18.
The interesting thing is that Klinsmann wasn’t asked about Shea here. He was asked about Carlos Bocanegra, and answered dutifully. But then he used Shea as the better example of “decisions and consequences.”
Shea has plenty of time, and all this could turn for him early next year, by September or so if he’s playing regularly for Stoke.
But for this summer? Things aren’t looking great.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0