Apr 29, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Well, if the men of Aston Villa would have done this all year, perhaps Brad Guzan could have left the superhero cape at home a little more often!
Seriously, who saw this coming? Aston Villa was the team most likely to have a six-spot put on them in 2012-13 – previously at any rate, as a young roster found its feet around Villa Park.
This will be Villa’s signature win in 2012-13, as it all came together spectacularly for Paul Lambert’s side. Aston Villa 6, Sunderland 1 … and let that sink in just a wee bit.
The result is extra-special shocking seeing as how Sunderland had performed lately under Paolo Di Canio, such a miracle worker around the Stadium of Light that he sure to get doggone ground renamed in his honor!
Everyone will talk about Christian Benteke’s hat trick, and rightly so. (Can Villa possibly keep this guy another year? He really has been such a saving grace.) But this was a headline maker all-around, one that just about leads Villa out of the relegation woods.
So let’s not lose sight of Gabby Agbonlahor, who was so forceful alongside the hat trick hero. Matthew Lowton and Andreas Weimann were big and bright too as Villa established a strong spot, tied for 15th in the table, with just enough cushion between the No. 15s and Wigan for the final drop spot.
So important for U.S. goalkeeper Guzan and Villa is that they control their own destiny now. They travel to Norwich, get Chelsea at home and, if the results fall just so, they may not even need a result by the season finale at Wigan. One more win will do for Villa, any way you slice it – and that is massive vindication for the way Lambert stuck with his young club, allowing them to grow into a club that put a 6-1 hammering on a given day.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3