Apr 29, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Okay, so Major League Soccer has had some pretty…interesting jersey designs over the years.
But this one is way up there, in terms of inventiveness, from Sporting Kansas City.
Right now I’m imagining Graham Zusi casually sauntering down the wing wearing this jersey, brushing his long hair back with one hand and pointing flamboyantly with the other on a hot summer’s day in the Midwest. Something just seems so right about that.
But back to the jersey. Sporting haven’t steered too far away from their light blue home jerseys, with the light blue theme making an appearance throughout this striking design.
John Moncke, Sporting Kansas City’s Vice President of Stadium and Brand Revenue, was quite pleased with himself and his staff after the kit got the thumbs up from SKC fans.
“Our in-house brand team set out to create a kit that blurs the line between fashion and sports. This jersey looks just as good with denim as it does on the field. You can wear this out, and people won’t think you have a soccer jersey on,” Moncke said. “We think that if you have a conversation about the coolest kits in the world, then our third kit should be a part of that dialogue.”
So basically, you can wear it to the game, to play golf or just hanging out at a bar with your mates. Multi-purpose soccer jersey alert.
However is the argyle-banded kit now cursed? After Sporting loss 3-2 to Portland, their first home defeat of the season, visions of Manchester United famously ditching their gray third kit at half-time after trailing 3-0 to Southampton back in the 1996 EPL season reached me.
I fear for Sporting’s argyle inspired third jerseys.
What’s that? More argyle in MLS you say… I’m in.
- International Champions Cup: Schedule revealed as Chelsea, Manchester United take on MLS sides 4
- After Bournemouth all but seal Premier League place, here’s some other minnows to make the top-flight 1
- Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez calls Real Madrid “best team in the world” 1
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Liverpool 1
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0