Apr 29, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
After news broke earlier today that Queens Park Rangers and manager Harry Redknapp has been locked into talks all day, the Twittersphere went into overdrive.
Now, it can calm down again, as QPR have confirmed that Redknapp will stay on as the West London clubs manager.
QPR’s relegation to the Championship was confirmed on Sunday, following the dissapoitning 0-0 draw with Reading. But good news has arrived for Rangers’ fans as Redknapp will stay on to lead their Champions promotion push next season.
Aiming for EPL promotion is one thing but delivering it is a huge ask.
“There’s a lot of work to be done next year and it will be very difficult to get promoted,” Redknapp told Sky Sports. “It’s a real good challenge. It’s possible but it ain’t going to be easy.”
Redknapp has won promotion to the EPL in the past, with Portsmouth in 2003, and knows the lower leagues of English soccer extremely well after cutting his teeth with Bournemouth in his first managerial role. He emphasized fitness would be a key factor in determining how effective his side will be next term.
“That’s the key. Whoever the players we have here, they’ve got to be worked on in pre-season and they’ve got to be willing to want to get super fit to compete at that level,” Redknapp said. “It will be a big challenge. There are lots of good teams and massive clubs. There are big clubs who have all been in the Premier League before and we are just one of them.”
But if Redknapp can keep the incredibly expensive squad he has assembled together, a return to the EPL may not be as hard as everyone thinks.
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 5
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 6
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3