Apr 30, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Okay, we all know it is a long shot. Nobody has given Real Madrid, or Barcelona for that matter, a chance of overturning heavy first leg defeats.
The seismic shift of European soccer has occurred, German football now overshadows their Spanish counterparts, blah, blah, blah…
But it can be done. Here’s some proof from past Champions League competitions, that should give fans of Real Madrid some hope ahead of the semifinal clash in a matter of hours.
Milan were all but assured of their place in the UCL semifinals, well on the way to retaining the trophy they won in 2003. After winning the first leg 4-1 at the San Siro, nobody gave little Deportivo a chance of reaching the semis. How wrong they were. The team from northern Spain raced into a 3-0 lead at half time, before Gonzalez Fran scored to make it 4-0 in the 75th minute and send them into the semis after a 5-4 aggregate win.
Barcelona have done it before. But that was only a two-goal deficit against Chelsea way back when. The London club defeated Barca 3-1 at Stamford Bridge in the first leg and were going through 4-3 on aggregate going into the last 10 minutes of normal time. But Dani Garcia scored to take the game to extra-time, as Barcelona ran riot and won 5-1 thanks to Rivaldo, Figo and Patrick Kluivert.
The Blues looked down and out, after Andre Vilas-Boas lost his job following the 3-1 first leg defeat in Naples. But Chelsea rallied at home, with the experienced trio of Didier Drogba, John Terry and Frank Lampard scoring to send the game into extra-time. Branislav Ivanovic proved to be the hero with the winning goal, as Chelsea went on to lift the European cup in similarly dramatic fashion in Munich last May.
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 10
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 4
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 2
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 5