Apr 30, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
With the light shining on Borussia Dortmund after Tuesday’s big result — a loss that all the same moved BVB into their second-ever Champions League final — it’s easy to forget that small cloud that just peaked its head over the horizon sometime after kickoff on Tuesday. You know what I’m talking about – that cumulus blob Dortmund and their fans may have to deal with when they encounter it four weeks from now?
That cloud is Mario Götze’s injury. The young German creator left today’s game early after picking up what appeared to be a hamstring injury. Dortmund, often cited as lacking depth, were only able to replace him with Kevin Grosskreutz and move Marco Reus to the middle. Sorry if we can’t shed a tear for the talent-rich.
But with everybody at this stage of UEFA Champions League being talent-rich, the difference between a Götze and Grosskreutz may prove decisive, which is why this preliminary report should scare BVB fans (when they sober up, tomorrow):
Ham-string tear for Götze (via @SkySportNewsHD)—
raphael honigstein (@honigstein) April 30, 2013
The word “tear” – that’s really a worst-case scenario. If Honigstein were citing a “strain,” Dortmund supporters could be reasonably sure rest would restore their talented attacker before May 25’s final in Wembley. But a tear? How often do we hear “four-to-six weeks” as the prognosis around those?
Sure, Borussia Dortmund will be fine if Mario Götze can’t play in Wembley. A three of Reus, Grosskreutz, and Jakob Blaszczykowski behind Robert Lewandowski? Again, nobody is going to shed a tear.
But that doesn’t mean Götze’s absence wouldn’t matter.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 4
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 3